Rock-n-Roll chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gachick88, Sep 4, 2016.

1. gachick88

gachick88 Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    Hello everyone! I am on day 18, lockdown, of my first incubation. Very excited and curious..when do chicks normally starts rocking in the egg? Will it be noticeable once I take them out of the turner and lie them down or closer to hatch time? Thanks in advance for your answers!!

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi. I don't have an answer to your question but i wish you the best with your hatch. Sounds very exciting

1 person likes this.
  3. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    The eggs can start rocking from day 18 until they hatch. When mine start rocking, typically around day 19, they are also internally pipped, and I hear some cheeping! For some people though, they don't have action until later on, so don't worry. Congrats on your first incubation, and good luck!
    ~KeyFlock

1 person likes this.
  4. gachick88

gachick88 Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    Thank you so much!

5. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    You're welcome! Today marks the beginning of day 19 for me, and I'm expecting some action later today or tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!

6. gachick88

gachick88 Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    How exciting!! I will do the same!

7. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Sounds great!

8. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG]
    Here's the first pip! Just found it a few minutes ago :)

9. gachick88

gachick88 Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    Yay, that is SO exciting [​IMG]!! I can't wait for mine to start! Mine started to wiggle today but no peeps yet. I'm kind of worried about that but it probably just needs more time. I tend to worry waaaay too much lol. I will attach a short video of it rocking. Please excuse the date (which is 3 days off) and the pencil line on the narrow end. We were in the learning phase of our project during that time lol. However the smaller circle is the airsac. It has grown a tad bit more outside of that circle so maybe that can give you an idea of what we are working with. I'm also hoping my airsac isn't too small. At this point I'm keeping things consistent and trying not to worry so much. Lockdown: Temp 99.5-100.5 and humidity 60-70%. Any thoughts or suggestions? ]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  10. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Temp and humidity looks good. As for the rocking, that's the chick moving into hatching position in the egg. It could be internally pipped, or not even that far yet. Either way, it will still take some waiting before you see any external pips. It's a painfully long process, but you will get through it! As for any suggestions, all I can say is try to distract yourself, and make sure you sleep! Everything else sounds great for now. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by