1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rock salt & chickens/ducks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kodiakchicken, Oct 24, 2008.

1. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    We had our first snow the night before last and, surprisingly, it stuck. I went home at lunch yesterday to find the cutest little chicken and duck footprints in the snow all around the house. But, this raised a concern.

Winter in Kodiak means ice, lots and lots of ice. We usually use salt on the steps and the back porch. We only use it on the driveway if it gets completely out of control. Will the salt hurt the bird's feet? I guess I'm particularly worried about the ducks and their webbing. But also, do you think they will try to eat the salt?

Our birds have free range of the entire yard, and I wanted to continue that through the winter if they choose. If anyone has experience with this I'd sure appreciate your comments!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Thanks, MissPrissy. I figured they are smart enough to decide if somethings doesn't taste right, but I didn't know if the salt would burn their feet or not.

Darn ice! Maybe it would be easier to just move to Hawaii!

4. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I thought I read somewhere that salt is toxic to chickens?

That's why I never let the girls throw them old pretzels or anything because it was ingrained in my brain somewhere but I can't remember where I got it?

I think you should do more research...google perhaps.

me,
    g

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Alot of salt isn't good for anyone much less chickens. If it were toxic then all my chickens are dead. They peck at the goat salt blocks frequently.

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Won't hurt them a bit. They may eat a piece or two but they won't over consume it.

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    wonder where I read that?

Either one of my chicken books or magazines...but which one?

I've been so paranoid about that, that I won't even throw out left over popcorn to them.

So are you saying it's ok but don't over do it?

me,
    g

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    It's fine
    Mine get stale popcorn, corn chips, potato chips you name it. As long as they have plenty of fresh water to flush the excess salt from their system they are fine. Same reason we can down a 44 ounze big gulb after eating a bag of popcorn.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Plain rock salt wouldn't be a problem but ice melt is not always just rock salt. A type of fertilizer is often used here along with other things. I know at least one type of ice melt is considered toxic to pets and they were getting sick after licking their feet. It depends what your using.

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have never seen a duck or goose lick their feet. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by