Rockhard eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Royd, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Not that I really needed any fake eggs, because all of my hens are laying in the nests, but I thought it would be fun to give it a try.

I blew out the eggs, and tried some old Plaster of Paris, but it wouldn't set, so I got out the Durham's Rock Hard Putty.
    If you've ever used this stuff, you know that it is an excellent crack or hole filler, in wood, sets quickly and shapes easily, in the green stage.

You ladies could probably use your cake frosting funnel bag, to inject them... I used a straight sided lantern funnel and a plastic grocery bag, with enough sand in it, to make a syringe.
    I mixed this batch, with hot water, because it fires off the reaction, more quickly.

Mix it to a viscous paste, which will flow easily, through the funnel... Not watery..... And fill your egg, with a little bit of a cap on it...When it starts to harden, simply start working it with different grades of sandpaper, until you get shaped, like you want it.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

Next time, I'll do a better job on the big hole. Maybe, use a diamond hole saw, or something.[​IMG]

2. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Good idea.

3. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    I haven't seen Durham's Putty in years. I wonder if I can get it here in Colorado? That stuff is great for a lot of things. [​IMG]

4. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Quote:They sell it, at HD. but only in the big container... Luckily, I had some.

5. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Thanks, it just so happens we're going into town today to shake off some cabin fever.[​IMG]

6. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I just use egg gourds in my nests, but I can see lots of other uses for that stuff! Might have to see if I can find some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by