1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rocking eggs.. 2+ days over

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosetinted, Jan 15, 2010.

1. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    I have 3 eggs, 1 of which is still rocking a bit. The other two seem to have stopped moving today

They are 2 days over (3 days from when the others hatched) but have not even pipped yet.

What do you think I should do?

2. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    A lot of people have said just to let eggs be in that situation. I personally just hatched 2 Seramas 3 or 4 days after they were "due". It takes a lot of energy to break that shell so they may just be resting. Give them a few more days-a few even say up to a week. Sometimes they are just slow to come out [​IMG] What type are you hatching? Good luck!

3. rosetinted

rosetinted Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    England
    The leftover eggs are all the same cross of silkie to orpington bantam. Two more from the same cross hatched no probs on tuesday.
    I feel awful for them, stuck in there, but I am loathed to do anything as I may do more harm than good:(

4. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    I'm glad two more hatched, that's always wonderful to hear. I know the feeling of helplessness you're takling about. But unless they pip you really can't do anything for them anyhow. I know there are a lot of people who would disagree with me, but I helped 4 of my last hatch-1 was breech (just gorgeous little Serama with a polka dot face), 2 were drying out from sitting so long and had pretty thick shells that you could actually hear hit the floor like little rocks, and 1 was sort of glued to itself and unable to move due to being a "sticky" chick. I'm so glad that I intervened and helped them. They are beautiful, healthy, and you couldn't tell which ones ever needed help by looking at them. Just try to wait it out and see if anymore at least pip. I should say that I did wait until after 12hrs of pipping before checking to see what was going on with my eggs. Are they hatching on the wire bottom or do you have something down? How many are left now?

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I watched an egg rock, roll and jump one night...my DH says you gotta help that chick~! I said no, because that's just what chicks do before they come out. That chick was dead the next day, never made the first pip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by