Rocking Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenDoodleMI, Dec 2, 2013.

1. ChickenDoodleMI

ChickenDoodleMI Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Capac, Michigan
    My Coop
    I have two duck eggs in the incubator that were set on Nov. 2nd.

They are rocking pretty good, and have been for close to 24 hours now. I don't hear any chirps, but clearly see the movement. No pipping that I can see yet (external) and I'm not sure how to tell internal pips. Should I intervene at all, or leave them?

2. Ooh, that's a tough one If you had more than two I would say Prick the top but you only have two I would Say Look at it with a flash light and see How big they are, then if they are big I would say Poke a hole at the top of it but I am no Chicken expert. May I ask if the ducks Have a mother or did you find them just in a nest?

If they do have a mother I say put them with the Mom she can take care of them If she doesn't they are probably dead or not her eggs

Hope this helped ~Little peep~

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    rocking or peeping eggs just means they are trying to poke inner membrane to the air cell. 24 hrs, later you may see them poke an outer hole- then they may do nothing for another 24 hrs till they hatch. during the last 24 hrs, they are getting used to our air, and absorbing the yolk do NOT help them. when you help them and they bleed because they will, it means they are not done absorbing their yolk and didn't want or need your help.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    after the chicks poke an outer hole the reason they don't finish is at this point their goal was just to get some air, not hatch fully. when they get bored in the egg they will hatch.

5. Okay I know Nothing About Ducks [​IMG]

6. And I really not Joking I thought they were like chickens [​IMG]

7. That's awesome I didn't think of it like that! Nice with the Explaining!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by