rocking on the back porch (neat story)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ravishaw, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    This morning I woke up and realized I'd fallen asleep in the second bedroom we keep as an office. Ironman was on repeat, so I shut it off, and got in my work duds.

I headed outside to watch the sunrise and sure enough my little hens were outside plucking clucking and acting like little hens. So I grabbed the leftover teriyaki chicken my wife made last night and the remnants of some nachos (filiberto nachos are gooooood).

I dumped those out on the ground and went back up on the porch and sat back and watched. My Barred Rocks have surpassed my fatty americaunas in size. They seem to look more like the traditional chicken with big ol butts while my americaunas resemble sleeker birds still. The Rhode Island Reds are somewhere in between, and my wynadottes are more like the barred rocks. The color on my wynadottes is very nice, and I like how the americaunas look semi-majestic; sort of like fledgling eagles in a way.

Then my littles Rhode Island Red, after wiping her beak of sour cream on the ground, sauntered over to me and hopped up on my knee. I cupped her little chicken body in my hands and she just relaxed her neck and rested her beak against me. IT was pretty cool. I petted her for a bit, and listened to her soft little chirps. She got tired eventually, after evaluating me and pecking some of the buttons on my shirt. So she hopped down. Next it was a barred rock, then another RIR, then a different barred rock. Even my americaunas came for a turn. For ONCE, one actually was calm while I was petting it. It even closed its eyes.

These americaunas have beards. And this one had a big beard. So I was fluffing the feather around it's head and I accidentally brushed its ear. She shook her head and stared at me like I'd stuck my hand down her shirt. She clucked disapprovingly for a second then closed her eyes and let me scratch her head some more. When she'd had enough she picked herself back up and hopped off. Several more hens came, some more than once. They'd leave the stir fry and nachos to come have a quiet moment then they'd be right back in the fray looking for chips to run off with for a while.

Funny little creatures!

[​IMG]

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Ah, yes! The joys of the chicken lifestyle....

3. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    and this is exactly why we have chickens!

4. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    It's nice to feel like chickens enjoy human company too and not just vice versa! I'm so glad you shared this moment- oftentimes when I'm with my chickens, I wonder how many people in the world are doing that very same thing at that moment- how many people are starting their days with feathered folks.

I've had several family members who grew up with chickens remark on how friendly and nice my flock is- not skittish or mean like they remembered chickens being. If you sit on one of the chairs behind the barn, you'll have at least one chicken who hustles over to sit on your knee. I can't do anything in a sitting/squatting position without Lucy (RIR) and Ethel (buff orp) jockeying to get on my knee to be rubbed.

My sister and I call it "chicken zen" and regularly refer to the run as our "happy place". There is a calm that comes with watching a happy flock doing their chicken thing, enjoying the day and what it brings. Although I do get a kick out of it when they chickens line up to watch me for a change, like when I'm doing a project behind the barn. Sometimes I pretend I've got my own t.v. show and they're my studio audience.

5. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Ravishaw

May 7, 2010
    my chickens like to hide in their run when I mow the lawn or use the weedeater. There is a tall tree out in the middle of the yard I want to prune up so I can get under it to take out the weeds there and dust it with de. The hens LOVE to stay out under that tree during the day.

7. Ravishaw

May 7, 2010
    My sister and I call it "chicken zen" and regularly refer to the run as our "happy place". There is a calm that comes with watching a happy flock doing their chicken thing, enjoying the day and what it brings.

I call it, "Fat happy chicken syndrome."

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Ain't it great! [​IMG] I just love my girls, they are all so special.

9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

When I sit and watch my chickens, I can just feel my blood pressure coming down... nice to know that there are other people out there that understand... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by