Rocks don't have feathered legs Right?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Azriel, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I got these eggs from a breeder here on BYC, I ordered Blue Rocks. When it came time to ship the eggs, I was told that the Rocks had slowed down on laying and she would send what she had of Rocks, and fill the rest of the order with EE s. That was fine with me as I like her EEs. I didn't have a great hatch, only 2 of the "Rocks", and 3 of th EEs. Of the Rocks, 1 was black, and 1 blue. The black was a very big chick, almost twice the size of the blue and the EEs, I didn't think much of it, just a big healthy chick, and there has been alot going on here in the last month, my Mom passed away, and we have been having major flooding and so I haven't done much more than keep them clean and feed and water them. They are 4 weeks now, and I was watching them yesterday and was thinking to myself, whats up with that black chick, its legs look funny, then I really looked at it and, it has huge black legs, with lots of feathers on them! I do not have a photo, they are not as social as my chicks normally are, but will try to get one taken. My 1st thought is Maran, but what else would be big, black, & with feathered legs. I don't remember the egg being real dark. Any thoughts without a photo.

2. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Single Comb? If so I would lean toward Black Langshan. but really hard without a picture.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be a Marans/EE cross? If that is halo, I have a beautiful Olive Egger from her Wheaten Marans rooster over BW Ameraucana hen with some leg feathering. I know she isn't the only one with Blue Rocks, though.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Definitely a Marans. I can't remember what I sent you, but I would be confident that is a Marans/rock cross. If so, Ive had some other people that have hatched them out and (if its a girl, fingers crossed) are getting beautiful dark eggs from them. So I think that mystery is solved.

5. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I'm pretty sure its a roo, darn, its getting lots of comb, and fluffs up and goes after the other chicks already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by