Rocks in abdomen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Lass, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Chicken Lass

Chicken Lass Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Are there supposed to be rocks in the abdomen? My hen Frances has been pooping smelly liquid-like dark brown stuff with occasionally undigested feed in it. I haven't seen her poop normal and firm since before I treated her with antibiotics. I took her to the vet, thinking she had crop impaction, but the vet said she seemed fine after she felt her crop. I lost another hen to egg binding, although her ex-ray showed that she had lots of rocks in the same place. Tonight I found Frances not on the roost but in the nest, her neck outstretched as though she were weak. She kept keeping her eyes tight closed. I decided to try placing my finger in her vent to see if I could feel anything, and that's when I discovered the vast amount of rocks just below her vent. I managed to remove some of them, but I didn't want to stress Frances out any more so I helped her get a bit of water and left her alone. Don't know if she'll be alive in the morning. Any info on if it is normal for chickens to have rocks in that part of the body? If it is then I guess I've got another egg binding case. She hasn't laid eggs in forever. Thanks anyone - I am so ready to stop having chicken issues.

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

They were rocks like "real" rocks you would find on the ground? Or are you saying the things in there were rock-like? As far as I know there should only be rocks in the gizzard! How big are these things? I am watching to see if anyone knows anything for you...never heard of this! Good luck! T

3. Chicken Lass

Jul 22, 2009
    Thanks and yes, they are real rocks - made up of the grit I give them and larger pebbles that were in the coop. She still has a bunch in there - I guess from looking at my chicken books either in her large intestine or cloaca. I thought the same, that rocks are only in the crop or gizzard! This is my third ISA Brown that has had issues, so maybe it has something to do with the breed? My other chickens appear fine. I don't know, but maybe she ate more rocks than she needs because she might be lacking something else in her diet. Here's hoping someone knows about this!

4. Chicken Lass

Jul 22, 2009
    Frances is still alive, but it won't be for long. Her comb is turning blue and she is just sitting about with her eyes closed. She cannot stand up and wobbles when she tries. I will just supply her with food and water and keep her in a cage so the others won't bother her until her time comes. It seems like I've lost a chicken (again, ISA Brown) every 2 to 3 months - total of three this year. I just hope there isn't some sneaky disease going around that is taking its time showing up. Right now the others are normal, except for decreased egg production (two of my hens aren't even laying).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by