Rocks in coop!??!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redneck farmer, Feb 8, 2013.

1. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I've noticed that some fellow BYCers keep saying to put rocks in the runs... Is that a must? Reomndation?

2. redneck farmer

Come on I need some advice round c'here

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Do you know what the rocks are there for?

4. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    I am also in the dark about this.

5. redneck farmer

They said it was for like starching there nails or somthing

6. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably so that their claws wear down faster. Like my goats hooves in dry weather when the ground is hard.

7. redneck farmer

Ya I remember them saying to put a rock in there so I'm just gonna do it

8. missnu01

Nov 16, 2012
    Makes sense...My chickens just wander the yard when not in the coop...so whatever nail filing they need they will have to do outside. Lol. I would maybe just nail a few sheets of sandpaper on the floor in a spot or 2 to attain the same results...but my coop is on the second story of a garage type building, so I wouldn't want to try to carry rocks up...

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, I've never heard that. News to me, and I have kept chickens since 2009.

There aren't many "musts" in keeping chickens, just good nutrition, security and safety from predators, fresh water, protection from the weather.

Beyond that, it's mostly preference. :D

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you have some gravel, rocks or bricks, something like that in your coop or run, it helps wear toenails down and gives them something to scrape their beaks on to keep them nice and short. It doesn't need to be boulders or anything, just some fist sized rocks, or bricks work well. It's the same principle as having a dog who is walked on a sidewalk or street a lot, or a horse kept on rock or gravel. It keeps the hooves/toenails worn down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by