Rocks in Water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, Apr 29, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    At what age to you generally take the marbles/pebbles/rocks out of their water...at what age would you deem them smart enough to not drown???

2. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I'm new at this too, but I took my rocks out after 1.5 weeks. I'm not sure what the standard is but mine were fine with it after that. I actually think you can take them out earlier than that but I was paranoid.

3. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:This is where I am now...1.5 weeks old...and cleaning off the rocks two or more times a day is a pain in the toooookus! [​IMG]

4. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I was told 2 weeks when I got my first chicks. 1.5 weeks to 2 weeks should be ok.

5. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Maybe I'll just take out half the rocks so I have half the problem...it's rinsing the freek'n rocks off all the time...those shavings stick to the rocks like glue! [​IMG] and I have the patience of a nat [​IMG]

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I found an easy way to wash the rocks. Put them in a small plastic tub such as a margarine container. Hold the container under running water and swish them around. Everything floats away other than the rocks.

I eliminated the rocks when the youngest chicks were a little over 2 weeks old.

7. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:But you still need to do it outside...right? Where do you put the wet shavings once they float away.....??? Can they go in a garbage disposal?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  8. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I never put any rocks in the water bowl. I never saw a chick try to climb in it either. they would just stick their beaks in it then tilt their heads back and swallow. they are about 3.5 weeks now and they like to perch on the waterer and the feeder even though I put a perch in their brooder box for them.

9. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:First thing my chick (one of them) did when they got into the brooder was fall asleep with it's head in the food dish...had it been the water dish it would of drown [​IMG] I don't think they are that "out of it" anymore, but think I'll wait another few days since it seems like most are saying about the 2 week mark is good....thanks! [​IMG]

10. Puck-Puck

Puck-Puck Chillin' With My Peeps

Rather than cleaning the rocks all the time, why not just toss them and put in a different handful? They're cheap! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by