rocks were just tough!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Spudd dud, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Spudd dud

Spudd dud Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Mondovi
    Ok, so this last spring I got 42 birds (for the first time raising checkens it was a little daughnting) and 25 were for meat. I got them april 28 and I "fufilled the 25 birds purpose" in december (8 months). When we cooked them, man were they tough! I never had chicken that was that tough. They were all about 7 lb roosters that seemed ready from what I could tell. So now I have a freezer full of soup meat!

Question time: why, why were they so tough?

Any answers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Spudd dud

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I can't answer your question, but you can slow cook the meat or use a pressure cooker to soften it up.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    8 months is way too old unless you pressure cook one..not going to happen in my house unless I want soup he must go on the BBQ [​IMG]
    If you don't eat them by 6 months they are not good for most eating. 4 months would be ideal-we are working on that bird here now

4. Spudd dud

Spudd dud Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Mondovi
    I'm figuring we will probobly preasure cook for chilli or chicken noodle soup.

HBuehler, you say 8 months is too old. Why would MM's catalog state that after 10 months Rocks are ready? Is this just the age that they are fully grown?

Thanks,
    Kris

5. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    They're fully grown by that weight. My cousins butcher at 8-12 weeks to keep it tender.

6. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    We roasted our almost year-old roo at 325*F the same way we do our Thanksgiving turkey and it turned out wonderfully! We did pour some broth in the bottom of the roasting pan at the beginning of cooking; maybe that helped?

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Nah, I'm guessing you didn't "rest" the bird before freezing or cooking . . .

8. blackvelvet

blackvelvet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I am with Katy!

9. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2 Makes the most difference. If you didn't let them sit for a couple days before freezing, try setting one in the fridge for a few days before you roast it.

10. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Spudd dud

I also agree with Katy, how many days did you let the birds rest in the refrigerator between butchering and freezing? Everyone has their preference on days, but 3-4 days is a good start and really helps to naturally tenderize the meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by