1. kaleigher

kaleigher New Egg

Apr 23, 2010
    I'm converting a pre-existing building on my property into a new coop and run. The building has a rock floor (those sort of medium size grey rocks). Should I shovel those out and either leave the dirt (actually, I'm not sure what's beneath the rocks- they're pretty deep) or replace with new bedding or put new bedding on top of the rocks? I am content to leave the rocks if they will be ok flooring- I'm thinking I can hose them off when cleaning time comes around? This is my first time building a coop! Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Are they pebbles or rocks? I think sharp rocks would cause foot issues and definitely a pain to clean.

3. kaleigher

kaleigher New Egg

Apr 23, 2010
    Mmm, not sharp rocks but definitely not pebbles. I may need to see if I can get them out of there. . .

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd cover them with pine shavings.

If you don't have problems with them, you've saved yourself a LOT of work.

If you should have problems, they can still be removed

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Walk on them barefooted, if there's discomfort, I wouldn't do it. Maybe slap a layer of sand over them, good drainage.

6. kaleigher

kaleigher New Egg

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks guys! I think I will try either pine shavings or sand on top and see how it goes. That would definitely beat clearing out who knows how many hundred pounds of rock!

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I built my run on a rock landscaped area thinking it would be good drainage and it was a convenient location. Turns out it was a bad idea. The chickens constantly bruise their feet despite throwing straw in there. Plus it's impossible to clean. They dig all the poop deeper and deeper into the stone and now it is very heavy stone filled yuck that will need to be taken out and replaced with sand. I start this project next weekend - still haven't figured out where I'm going to put the junk I dig out. [​IMG]

Take it from me, don't do it! You won't like it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by