Rockwall, Texas. Help???

JakeBremer

Songster
7 Years
Feb 4, 2012
Quinlan, TX
I am trying to find out for my father if you can have chickens in the city limits in Rockwall Texas. Anyone know anything? Please help?!?!?!?!

It depends on what zone his parcel is in. I turned up the following in Rockwall's municipal code, please note that they define "livestock" as "all domesticated animals, other than dogs and cats including, but not limited to, horses, cows, mules, goats, sheep and pigs other than potbellied pigs as defined in this section." Doesn't say chickens specifically but doesn't exclude them either:

ARTICLE VI. - LIVESTOCK AND OTHER FARM ANIMALS
hyperlink.png

Sec. 6-162. - Keeping, confining and breeding regulations.
Secs. 6-163—6-192. - Reserved.

Sec. 6-162. - Keeping, confining and breeding regulations.
hyperlink.png

(a)
No person shall engage in keeping livestock within the corporate limits of the city except on tracts of land five acres and larger, on property zoned agricultural or in accordance with article IV, section 3 of the Unified Development Code pertaining to zoning districts SF-E and SF-1 and in accordance with all other applicable ordinances. Except in the SF-E and SF-1 zoning districts, no more than one animal defined as being livestock per 10,000 square feet of available space may be kept on any tract of land, nor may livestock be kept within 100 feet of a residence or business.
(b)
It shall be unlawful to own or keep chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, peacocks, or guinea hens within the corporate limits of the city except in agricultural zoned districts.
(c)
Male equines (horses) capable of breeding shall be confined in such a manner that said animal will not be dangerous to human beings, and shall remain on the premises of the owner and shall not endanger the property of any other person.
(d)
Male equines capable of breeding may impose an imminent threat to human life and to property. Any breeding of equines shall be under the direct supervision of the owner or handler.

Hi!!
I was wondering the same thing some weeks ago because there was a chicken up for adoption at Rockwall's shelter and I asked them.
They said no. You can't have backyard chickens in Rockwall unless you had them before an specific year :(
You got to be specially careful with HOAs and nosey neighbors.

It's sad because we would love to have a couple of them in our backyard and there are so many cities around here that allow urban chickens.

Back
Top Bottom