Rocky has a problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joe12pack, May 29, 2011.

1. joe12pack

joe12pack Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Rafael
    Rocky, my barred Rock hen, has been very lethargic the past week. I do have a problem with my flock with chicken lice and today I gave them all a bath (vinegar, salt, dish detergent recipe I learned on here). I noticed when I was rinsing her off she has a really bad skin problem on her rear. It's like a giant scab/reptile skin. I am sure this is related to her not feeling well. Any ideas?

Sorry that the picture isn't focused but I think you will get the idea.

[​IMG]

bigger picture:
    http://screencast.com/t/gt4ouecV3

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Looks to me like scale from mites. I don't have personal experience with it, but have seen other BYCers treat this with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to suffocate any mites out and soften the scales down. You may need to treat the infestation with ivermectin or seven dust if the homemade remedy is ineffective.

3. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Possibly a reaction to the lice? I remember reading something about that.

4. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    That is irritation from the lice and mites sucking blood and generally causing havoc. It could very well be what has been making her feel so bad. You need to treat premises and I would not count on the problem being gone although I'm guessing she feels a whole lot better. Eggs will still hatch and start the cycle all over again. I'd advise using sevin, adams flea & tick or frontline.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    In addition to what the others have said, I recommend that you feed her scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk for about a week. Scrambled egg provides extra protein to rebuild her strength and buttermilk is a probiotic to help rebuild her immune system. You might also consider adding poultry nutri drench in her water, it's loaded with minerals and vitamins. Add it to her water for about 5 days...no longer than that, it might cause diarrhea.

6. joe12pack

Sep 4, 2010
    San Rafael
    Quote:Ok thanks, I will make her some scrambled eggs with buttermilk.

Is it ok to add the nutri-drench to the water for the whole flock? otherwise I don't know how I can isolate her water.

7. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Ok thanks, I will make her some scrambled eggs with buttermilk.

Is it ok to add the nutri-drench to the water for the whole flock? otherwise I don't know how I can isolate her water.

May I also add that with any infestation, you need to dust and treat the birds, but ALSO remove ALL bedding, hay, wood chips, whatever and BURN it...then before you put fresh ones in clean and wash the coop out with hot soapy water. If you are trying to treat a "natural" way you can then take the bedding that you burned (let it cool) and dust the birds with it...then once you put in new bedding, take the remaining ashes andsprinkle around, so the can take dust bath in it.....
    Also using vitamin water for a few days will help her feel better, and the vasoline on her bum [​IMG]

8. joe12pack

Sep 4, 2010
    San Rafael
    Great advice from everyone. I am beginning to realize this lice problem is a pretty serious and time consuming matter. I hope I can treat my birds with natural cures.

Otherwise, I am going to have to resort to chemicals.

Here's a funny picture of my 1 rooster, Butter ball (he's a Cochin and looks like a big round turkey), getting a bath in the vinegar+salt+soap solution.

[​IMG]

9. Jrola

Jrola New Egg

May 30, 2011
    not a happy bunny:/
    Quote:

10. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:I'm sorry for all the trouble you have to go through and any distress your chickens are feeling, but do love that picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by