Rocky met her demise this morning :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, Sep 18, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Sooooo Rocky (our barred rock girl...photos on link in signature) met her demise this morning when she jumped over the fence and chased down the dogs! Apparently she was a bit too aggressive for her own good. [​IMG]

She was always a bit aggressive for her own good, spent three days in chicken jail at one point...would chase myself and the kids down when we would enter the play area (where the chickens free ranged) she didn't peck us often, but she was a pecking PITA to the other chickens...curious to know what the totem pole will look like now that she's gone? ???

2. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    sorry, honey. its always hard to have a loss.

:-(

the other ones will figure it out.

3. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    I should mention she was my DH's favorite & so she will be missed and given a proper funeral, but I secretively am glad to not have her pecking on all the other chickens. [​IMG]

4. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    You can see her grumpy nature in her facial expression...LOL...poor baby, I'm sad she went the way she did...I sure hope it was fast and not too terrifying!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Oh - I'm so sorry to hear about that. That's your first loss isn't it?

I wonder how your buff will do being the only one on the roost at night? Don't your little silkies sleep on the floor or do they stay on the roost if they're put there?

How are your silkies doing? Did you ever build them their own little coop?

6. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Sorry for the long delay...couldn't find my post...LOL [​IMG]

yes that was our first loss...and honestly the kids took it REALLY well...almost comical how well they took it and the stories they tell about the chicken dying. I am glad to some degree because the dynamics are better now...

Buffy seems to be AOK...she recently started to lay eggs (at least I think it's her, the eggs are brown)

The silkies try to roost on the edge of the coop door, so each night when we go to close the door we have to push them on inside all the way...and so I'm not so sure what they end up doing? roosting on something or laying in the shavings...at least they are FINALLY going into the coop at night now!!! [​IMG]

We have Buffy (the buff orpington) and then ping and pong (the silkies) ... Pong is a rooster...so there are only two hens in the batch, we'll see how many eggs we end up with...so far it appears Buffy is a laying machine! LOL

The totum pole seems if possible that buffy and pong (the roo) are at an equal level of some sort and ping (the silkie hen) is the low one on the totum pole, but the dynamics between the three is MUCH kinder and more friendly then it was when rocky was part of the equation....now it appears no one picks on anyone...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by