Rocky Mountain Saddle horses? .......

I've never ridden them but they are alot like the MO fox trotters which I loved them! however I love my Pasos better LOL!
wink.png
because they are perfect for my SHORT body!
lol.png

Are they easy to learn how to ride....I have never ridden a gaited horse I have seen icelantic's ...which are cool to watch....but i was wondering if it different..I guess you have to give them a cue to gait"rack"...Is the gait a little bit faster than a trot...I'll be asking these questions to the owners..I am trying not to be to excited in checking him out...They used him only for trails.....thanks

If you are used to hunter or dressage horses, gaited horses can IMO take some getting used to; if you are used to WP type horses, or just any ole trail riding, it may not be much of a change (or, some people feel, for the better
smile.png
)

The ones I've known have mostly been rather narrow horses, good for short-legged people (though not necessarily large-bodied people unless accompanied by a good, balanced seat on the horse).

The ones I've known have had brains comparable to TWHs, i.e. very good solid citizens and a pleasure to work with.

I would say the ones I've seen advertised for sale here in ON do seem to be priced up considerably beyond their worth IMHO though.

Of course what really matters is less the breed average than this PARTICULAR horse and how he clicks with you
smile.png

Good luck,

Pat

I see a lot of gaited horses that cannot gait.
Do you know what a trot and a pace feel like?

If nothing else you need to pick up a front and a hind to see what type of shoe is on the horses. A lot of these Rockies or Walkers cannot gait a step without more then a pound of shoe on each hoof.

Unluckily the "good stallions" are the ones that can place in the show ring, not the ones with a natural barefoot gait.

They can often be great beginner's horses, very forgiving and often a bit lazy.

I have owned gaited horses in the past. I like a nice bred one but enjoy my Arabs flying down the trail more...
smile.png

The woman who owns the farm I used to train for dealt mainly in Morgans for show, but also raised Spotted Saddle Horses and Racking horses. We used to trail ride all over the state and rode often with a guy named Dan who had a gorgeous Rocky Mountain stallion., This horse would go all day, was smooth as silk and was ridden with mares - no problems. He was just wearing plates and I know he was smooth because I got to ride him once!

The TWHs and Pasos that I've variously worked with and ridden mostly haven't gaited much or at all (at least not in a technical 'name that gait' kind of way)... but have still been flatter- and somewhat 'different'-moving than the TBs/WBs/drafts/QHs I was mostly familiar with. Also a number of them paced at least some of the time (which I personally find dismaying but some people apparently find comfy to ride). This was barefoot or in yer basic generic shoe and foot length.

Hard to tell. Just go see the horse, you're shopping for *him* not his whole breed
smile.png

Pat

rocky mountain horses do a racking gait, very smooth, they have a lot of walking horse blood in them, they can be different colors but their signature color is chocolate with flaxen mane and tail

We have Racking horses, TW's, and Standardbreds along with Quarter horses. All of ours are Flat shod. Our racking horses have a much smoother gait. The Tw's are more like a rocking chair and the standardbreds pace. From my experience in gaite horses he Rocky mtn's are suposed to be alot like the racking horses and have a smooth gait.

Back
Top Bottom