Rocky Mountain States-Barren of Angora Bunnies?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by High Mountain Chic, Mar 5, 2009.

1. High Mountain Chic

High Mountain Chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Leadville Colorado
    I am just wondering why the closest breeder of angora rabbits to Colorado seems to be either CA or OH? I would love to have an angora (I am learning to spin yarn) for wool and love... but Where oh where can they be? I know they can be shipped, but there just has to be someone closer to home.[​IMG]

2. CritterBazaar

CritterBazaar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Fort Wayne IN
    Hi - saw your posting. There are some great breeders in NM. They have English, French, and Satin in all varieties. I judge them regularly and they have great wool for spinning. Email me and I will get you in touch with them.

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Come down to our poultry show in April. Its in Pueblo and they are have 4 National Rabbit shows in the same building that weekend. See my CPA link below.

4. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    There is a breeder of Angora rabbits somewhere in Ks. My sister got 2 from her but I don't remember where at. There is another breeder of Angora's in Ok. She has a website I think it is called grammys critter ranch. HTH.

5. High Mountain Chic

High Mountain Chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Leadville Colorado
    Thanks Everyone! This really is the most helpful website! I am still getting my chicks settled. But once that is done I will look into these breeders and hopefully find something fuzzy![​IMG]

6. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Did you ever find out any more information on Angoras in your area?

7. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    I got info about angoras about 2 years ago so don't know if its still accurate. I think these people were at the Pueblo show that another person mentioned.
    Brianna Sawyer in Loveland had the bunnies I wanted. e-mail: [email protected]

Dunham's Birds & Bunnies in Elizabeth e-mail: [email protected]

Humble Rabbitry (Ken Pearson family) in La Junta didn't have e-mail on their card.

Hope this helps. I love to spin but I'm not quite good enough yet to do the really fine stuff without pulling my hair out; which is why I have 3 years worth of cashmere fiber in my freezer!

8. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    I purchased a Holland Lop from a local breeder....but it looks as though she has Angora in her lines. I just sheared her last week. She was so matted when I got her. I tried brushing her, but as I got out one mat, I found 2 more lol.

She's about 9 weeks old. Of course, not showable, but she was the prettiest of the bunch the breeder sold to TSC, so I had to bring her home with me. Her name is Bunny (named her after the charater on Gomer Pyle, the Sgt's girlfriend lol).

9. CritterBazaar

CritterBazaar Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Fort Wayne IN
    Holland Lops have a natural wool gene and sometimes you get one with wool like yours. There is also a breed called American Fuzzy Lops which are about the size of a Holland and have wool. The AFL is recognized by the ARBA. Local rabbit show listings can be found at www.arba.net. The Loveland show is a great show, and there are usually a couple in Colorado Springs too. I judge out there periodically.

10. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Quote:The mother is a registered Holland, though. The breeder had recently purchased her at a show for $300 [​IMG] then was quite upset when she threw this little girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by