Rodent Infestation, Need Help!

awyman

Songster
Apr 5, 2019
West Virginia
I hate saying it, but my barn has rats. We’ve struggled with this problem for about a year and a half now. We’ve tried everything. Electric traps, pet friendly poison, & even hunting them at night. We have livestock dogs, but they don’t help either. We keep all our food in bins, our barn is pretty dry, and there is no food being left out at night. I need help! I feel like having rats at your barn is something you never want to admit but I seriously need some solutions. A couple weeks ago I discovered my two turkey poults dead. I thought it was a raccoon at first but I’m pretty sure if it was, it would have taken the bodies. But the bodies were just mangled. So I’m thinking it might have been one of the many rats that have mad my barn home. We try to hunt them every night. Load up a pellet gun, and wait for them to come out. But their getting sneakier. I WILL avenge my turkeys. I need some help. Has anyone felt with this problem before? If so, how did you solve it? I feel like a terrible livestock mom.

Have you tried the floating birdseed in a bucket trap?
If not then what you do is fill a five gallon bucket with water and maybe a little bit of oilthen coat the serface with birdseed just enough so that it looks like Solid Ground then place a piece of wood or a ramp leading up to the bucket the rats will try to jump down and eat the seeds and will fall through and drown.
I hope that i could help.

Back
Top Bottom