Rodents & chickens & feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tndalexander, Nov 3, 2012.

1. tndalexander

tndalexander Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2012
    Hello I am looking for tips on keeping rodents away from my hens, and after last night my bunnies as well. We pour poison down any holes & close them off.

I also put the garden hose down the holes & turn it on the Pitts make a game of trying to catch them pop out of other holes.

However I had a big loss to an opossum & night before last it appears a rat killed one of my bunnies. The dogs got the big possum but the bunnies are in stainless steel rabbit cages & the bars are small feeder & water-er built in like

I keep the feed in the enclosed back porch in a large Tupperware bin with lid. any ideas on killing these rodents with out harming the domestic stock?

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    we keep a trap baited at all times, I live in the suburbs and you'd still be amazed at how many possum and coon we've caught (and killed!)

3. tndalexander

Oct 26, 2012
    What type of trap please. I am leery of tossing poison out I have very strong dogs they are very protective of the hens & one rat was chewing a hens leg at 3 am I did not hear any thing but my big male pitt was going mad I let him out & I saw something fly in the air ran out picked up a hen she was bleeding & he turned around with a cat size rat fresh killed. I was able to save the hen, but I really need to get rid of these rodents. My dogs are house kept & they have very short coats not good for MI winters.

I need a trap that is dog proof, allowed to be pretty close to the hen house, & deadly to the rats but not the live stock.

4. tndalexander

Oct 26, 2012
    Also I only feed the hens what they can eat in the morning then again at night so as not to draw any more rodents. Some times like with chicks I pop out to give them strawberries, & corn snack for lunch but that is only what they eat right there & then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by