Rodents eating my finches

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by harmony farm, May 16, 2016.

1. harmony farm

harmony farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Morning folks

I have a 4mx3m aviary, I'm starting to lose b, as can't see away for them to escape I'm assuming rodents get in through the soil in the ground. Losing a finch a day at the moment.

Any suggestions without having to concrete the floor , I also have quail there too but their not being touched.

Any suggestions or ideas appreciated.

Thx Chris

2. rottlady

rottlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Georges Mills, NH
    are the birds totally gone or dead bodies left behind? Rodents will not carry off a finch. They would eat it in place unless it is a Rat.

Rodents up to Rat size as well as Weasels can get through ANY hole or gap 1" wide

Additionally snakes also prey on small birds

Easiest way to see what is killing them is to install a game camera or two set at highest sensitivity in the aviary

edited to add just now see you are in Oz. Several small to med small lizards also eat birds and can get through gaps or under dirt as well

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  3. harmony farm

harmony farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Victoria australia
    Hi Mate

Thanks for replying: Ye in aviary nothing left , just seen a few feathers. There is holes in the ground though where i know there getting in but as whether there eating them or not i really don't know.

4. COOP3726

COOP3726 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Cover the floor with 1/4 hardware wire and cover it with mulch. This will not let anything come through it.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by