Rogue broody found! pictures "How could you Millie!"

My Milly (a Mille Fleur d'Uccle) is broody now too. Sadly, I don't think she's going to get to be a mommy this time, though. One of her two eggs hatched and I found the little chick DEAD in the nest box.
hit.gif
Fully dried out and fluffed up, but it looked like it had been mashed.
hu.gif
The other egg seems to be a dud. Anyway, your Millie is adorable, best wishes to her... can't wait to see her chicks!
smile.png

I have two White Leghorn roosters that need a home. They are 5 weeks old. We are not zoned for roosters. Does anyone know of somewhere or someone that would like them? They are not for food!! I live in the east bay

Millie decided she didn't want to be broody after all. This would have been her second hatch in three months, so I can't say as I blame her.
This is where Dottie enters the picture.

8175_dscf2856.jpg

This is Dottie. Her mother is a buff orpington and her father's a barred rock.

She's pretty low in the pecking order, and even though the past two springs she has been broody, Millie beat her to it. And I wasn't sure how a subordinate hen would be as a mother.
Well there Dottie was, doing her broody thing in the nest-box. I picked her up and placed her in the brooding closet and you would have thought she had died and gone to Heaven. She shimmied down into place on top of her 3 eggs and hasn't missed a beat.

Back
Top Bottom