rogue leghorn breaking all the eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bluecoop, Mar 4, 2012.

1. bluecoop

bluecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    All three of my leghorns are losing their feathers at an alarming rate and one of them is now breaking all the eggs. For several days I've just found smashed eggs and not just in the boxes, I'm finding the remains all over the coop. any ideas?...other than making a big batch of soup

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    They are breaking eggs because they have a protein deficiency because of the molting/feather loss. Are they just losing the feathers or are they being picked at by each other? You need to up their protein intake. Switch their feed over to a grower formula. Give them some protein rich treats such as BOSS, meal worms, tuna, bits of non-processed meat leftover from the dinner table, yogurt...Hopefully once the deficiency is addressed you will see an improvement in the egg breaking soon.

3. bluecoop

bluecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    thanks, I'll try that. Someone else mentioned that but I figured as I'm feeding them with an expensive mix they should be covered. I will start a new regime tomorrow, let you know how it goes. once again thanks for the input

4. If you have dry cat food on hand, throw out some handfuls of that and that will help too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by