Rogue Nest: Keep It Or Empty It?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by devora, Mar 6, 2012.

1. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

A few of my girls have gone rogue! I found an outside nest.

I was thinking to leave an egg in it so that if (IF!!) they ever do it again I'll know where to look. (I've removed all eggs in the past from other times and they stop laying there...and find another place.)

Ideas? (I know how to retrain them to lay in the coop; I wanna know about the nest. :)))))

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If it is a good place for you and can check it regularly, I say why not? I think I'd use a fake egg tho.

3. devora

I was thinking of putting a fake one, but there it is, a perfectly good egg that I won't eat...so I left it. What I don't get is why why why the 'coons don't find these "hidden" nests!

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The coons may get more than we know. I don't think they leave a flag telling the world I found an egg here.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I started doing just what you're saying when my girls free ranged. If I emptied a nest, they'd find another place to lay. I'd just mark an egg or two with a sharpie, making a big circle aroud the whole thing so I could tell right off which was the sacrifice egg. Having the egg would keep the girls laying in that same nest (for longer, anyway).

6. devora

Oh, thank you, that is encouraging. I'm a tad frustrated w/ this bird and am considering giving her away to someone who can tolerate her independence better than I!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by