Rogue RIR

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Disa, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Disa

Disa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    Well, it's been interesting around here that's for sure! I have a sickly, sneezy hen and after much internet searching and BYC forum reading, I decided the first thing I needed to do for her was clean the coop really well until I hear back from the County Extension Agent.

So I came home this afternoon and opened up the coop. Everybody was on the roost and I started clearing out the hay that was only about 10 days old. Nobody cared...they just sat there watching except for one of the Barred Rocks...she hopped out to the outside. It was still daylight and they have always come back into the run when it got dark so I just dropped the run door and let them all out.

Boy was that a mistake!! About two weeks ago, we moved the chicken tractor from the front side of the workshop to the backside of the workshop. After 2 months of coming back into the coop as soon as it got the slightest bit dusky...it was like those silly girls didn't know where their house was!! [​IMG]

I threw out scratch, called "here chick-chick" until I was blue in the face! They were scattering all over the place. It wasn't until it got full blown dark that I was able to track them down one by one with a flashlight. I did manage to find them all and catch five of the six to put back into the coop. Only one is still "at large". One of the RIRs just would not be caught. Any time I got close to her she would skitter off toward the woods. Right now, she is on the other side of the barbed wire fence, just inside the woods, "nesting" on a pile of pine straw. I was afraid to drive her further into the woods so I just left her. Maybe she'll make it through the night, in spite of the cold and predators. If she does, maybe she'll find her way back to the coop and run.

We can hope. [​IMG]

2. Disa

Disa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    I went outside as soon as dawn broke this morning to see if she survived the night. Silly bird was walking around the yard like "no big thang". Before I opened the coop door, I opened the door to the run and she waltz in like it was MY fault.

Silly bird.

3. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Yay for the good out come![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by