1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rogue Street Chicken-any guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Renshawfarm, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Renshawfarm

Renshawfarm New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    Ventura, CA
    This is Cosmo our hen who we rescued from the street in front of our house. We had no idea her age or whether or not she was a hen or rooster but at long last after about 6 months she started laying medium pinkish eggs. Can anyone help us with identifying her?

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    You need 10 posts before you can upload to BYC. Until then, you can use outside sources like Photobucket.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If that's her in your avatar she's a game hen. They're great birds, very self suffecient and good mothers.

4. Renshawfarm

Renshawfarm New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    Ventura, CA
    That is her in our avatar, and after doing a little google searching I think you are right on the money! She definitely looks like a game hen, and that might explain her being so broody lately. I had posted in another thread about getting her a friend and I was wondering if you had any ideas about breeds to put with her. I've seen rhode island reds on craigslist but I had read they can be aggressive with other chickens so I was a little hesitant to jump on it. Thanks for the i.d. on Cosmo and any other help would be great! My wife and I are very new to the chicken world and got this one by pure chance.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She will hold her own with any breeds you put her with. They're known for not taking crap from anybody.Not mean, just not submissive.

My Red hens have never been more aggressive than any other breed. I'd just decide what you want and get it.

She's a very pretty hen, I'd be tempted to find some fertile eggs and put them under her if she's truely broody. Course, then you'd have to do something with any roosters she hatched out.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by