Roll away nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ProperPoultry, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ProperPoultry

ProperPoultry New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    ayr
    Hi there i am a very new to this so im sorry if i dont fully understand or if i dont make an sense. But my name is shaun and i am 16 years old.

I was wondering if you can use roll away nest boxes for hatching eggs what i mean is im looking to breed my chickens so i was wonerding if a roll away system would still produce fertile eggs >

thank you for the help

2. Lucid

Lucid Just Hatched

Jul 8, 2016
    Maryland
    Yes, the "fertilization" happens before the laying, not after, so they are free to use the roll away boxes. Probably a good idea since you want to keep the eggs clean and collect them quickly.

3. HaloAmanda

HaloAmanda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Norwalk, Connecticut
    I would be sure to collect them right away so they don't get cold and make sure it's not a steep incline to damage the eggs.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do mean this only during freezing weather?

5. HaloAmanda

HaloAmanda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Norwalk, Connecticut
    No, in general. If you plan to hatch them they need to be kept warm. Generally I would think it's easier to leave under a hen until transported to an incubator.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I used rollaway nest in the past coupled with a nest trap so I could keep up with which hen laid the egg. It works quite well when you may want to breed several kinds of hens to just one rooster. Because the hen who laid is still in the nest, and the egg has rolled down to the nest ledge, so determining the egg's pedigree is easy.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by