Roll Out Nest Box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jthornton, Dec 9, 2017.

1. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    I think the solution to my space problem is a roll out nest box like this one. Does anyone know the angle of the floor? Would fake grass work instead of the pads?

And yes I've seen the paint tray things and I'm using that.

Thanks
    JT

rjohns39 and Diannastarr like this.
  2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This is my favorite roll-out nest box design.

I love it because it allows you to quickly and cheaply adapt it to any existing nest box. It incorporates the astroturf grass.

3. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    I saw that video, I don't have an existing nest box so I have to start from scratch.

JT

rjohns39 and Diannastarr like this.
  4. When I made mine I just played with the angle until it worked before I screwed it together. Its not that severe but I could not tell you the actual angle. I know I was going to get you pics i forgot, its hard to show well because its all assembled and the only good pic would be from the outside. I use dense commercial carpet squares, its not fluffy at all so the eggs roll well. I would think fake grass would work, just test the angel with an egg and the grass in place before screwing it in. If you start this way they will never know its "supposed" to have nesting material. Before they were laying I would carefully place wood eggs so they would not roll out, of course I was putting them back all the time because they would knock them around and they rolled out.

Gary

Diannastarr, rjohns39 and jthornton like this.
  5. IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1447.JPG IMG_1295.JPG

Pics as promised, and like I said hard to really see it. Thats one community box about 40" wide accessible from the outside. As you can see the carpet is pretty dense, they never bring in nesting material on their own and they have NEVER pooped in the box. I thought for sure I would be cleaning it once in a while all I do is pull out the carpet squares and knock off the feathers and wood chips that come in with the birds once and a while

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  6. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    Ah I get it you placed the fake eggs in the nest box in view of the chicken to show them it's a safe place to lay. I have some ceramic brown eggs I can use.

I'll change my current design so I can adjust the floor as needed. Probably easier to make it like that anyway.

JT

IdyllwildAcres and Diannastarr like this.
  7. Sometimes my eggs don't roll out all the way, too late to adjust the box but I am planning to put a few strips of cardboard under the carpet to increase the pitch, when I get to it... They mostly roll out

Gary

Diannastarr likes this.
  8. Diannastarr

Diannastarr Crowing

Jun 3, 2014
    Bisbee AZ 85603
    VERY KOOL IDEA, saves the eggs from the egg eaters & seems easier to clean as well just pull the whole thing out and with the astroturf on the bottom it can be swept clean or hosed off & set out to dry in the sun ...! plus that would keep all the nest box bugs away for sure, excellent...!!:clap im re fitting my nest boxes into this design...!!! :thumbsup :highfive::woot

9. I have since put a 2x4 in front of the openings (like a roost bar) since they were pooping all over my feed cans. Now the cans are tucked all the way under:)

Gary

10. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    Gary, thanks for the photos.

This is the side view I'm thinking of making from some plywood I have. I'm going to design it so I can make fine adjustments after installing it. Thanks sharing your experiences.

RONB Side.JPG

JT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: