1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roll out nests - do you ever have eggs crack from rolling onto each other?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Feb 2, 2012.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

We are thinking out converting our nests to roll out style but I am worried that if a chicken lays and egg and it rolls to the back, the next egg laid will roll right into it and break one or both. Do they roll that fast? I was thinking of about a 2:14 pitch.

2. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Hi, I made a roll out nest box- I set up a piece plywood and experimented with different slopes. I found the best rise to be four inches high for my sloped side being 30 inches total( box and roll out part). That's about what you were thinking if I understood. You have to make the part where the eggs go bigger than you would think or the hens try to get the eggs. Mine is 18 in

3. gale65

I don't have that much room. Right now we're using bins in the nest boxes and there is 4-5 inches available behind the bins. But our hens don't bother the eggs. I just want the roll-out because they step all over them with their dirty little feet. :p

4. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    I put some pipe insulation where the eggs roll to to prevent them from breaking. I have never had a problem. I love being able to go get eggs and not have to walk in the coop. My wife hates it when I track chicken **** in the house. [​IMG]

5. Oneacre Homestead

May 25, 2011
    Hi again,
    Before i had a roll out nest, My eggs used to be dirty a lot and Someone said I should try changing the nest bedding more. First I said, "my nests aren't dirty!"
    They didn't look that dirty, anyway. Then I decided to try it and I got some cedar shavings and dumped them every other day and WOW what a difference. If your hens are not bothering the eggs, I would try that first. Much easier. :)

6. Oneacre Homestead

May 25, 2011
    Oh and to answer your original question, my eggs do not crack at the slope I use, 30 inch ramp
    4 inches high, but when I was experimenting, they cracked if the slope was high enough.

7. Oneacre Homestead

May 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. gale65

Tried it. I get dirty eggs the very same day I put clean bedding in. I use pine shavings though...

9. Oneacre Homestead

May 25, 2011
    Oh. If you don't have room in your coop for the roll out part, what about having the eggs roll to the outside like the other person who posted? I wish mine did that!

10. gale65

The nest boxes are built into the side of the coop and are a fixed size and open from outside the coop now. There isn't enough room on the outside to add more onto them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by