1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rolled oats for horses?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wannahavehens, Dec 20, 2008.

1. wannahavehens

wannahavehens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    Hi all, I give my small flock oatmeal every few days. If it's especially cold, i heat some up with water and some cut apple and a little of their crumbles. My question is - is rolled oats for horses the same as oatmeal? Can the chickens eat that? I saw a bag in the Tractor Supply Store and that would be so much cheaper than buying it in the grocery store.

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Can't be sure without looking at the ingredients on the bag, but I'd guess so. Probably not perfectly human food grade, but doubt the chickens would care. If it's safe for horses, I'd feel safe feeding it to chickens though. Horses are pretty delicate in the digestion area actually.

I've made hot mash for horses using crimped oats, bet the chickens would like that too... that's not cheap either though, I'd bet whichever is more cost effective would be fine.

3. wannahavehens

wannahavehens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Hemlock, New York
    thanks... I'll have to look more closely at the exact ingredients.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by