Rolled Oats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by desertgirl, Apr 12, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I wanted to get my week old chicks a treat, and had heard that oatmeal was a good option (not too hard on their little digestive systems).
    Went to the Co-op (feels wierd to put a hyphen in that word now![​IMG])., and all I could find was rolled oats and oat bran. Went with rolled oats...is this ok for them?

2. chickensforever

chickensforever Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    That seems pretty young to give treats. I was told to start with hard boiled egg yolks and gradually move on from there. Chickens love rolled oats, but I'd wait a little just to be safe - but I always worry about stuff so they might be just fine. [​IMG]

3. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Yolk seems like a good idea. I want to have something specia to hand feed the, since withall of this pasty butt cleaning I wouldn't blame them if they hated my guts![​IMG]

4. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Mine have enjoyed (more like went berserk for, lol!) cooked egg yolk. They had this around the one week mark. Your chicks will *completely* forgive you for pasty-butt cleaning with egg yolk, lol!

At two-three weeks I began to offer a little chopped greens, and at three weeks+ they had outdoor time and found a couple of bugs! Also clover! They love it all, I think moderation is the key, and offer chick grit to them freely,which would be the finest grit.

If you have children, think of it like when they were babies: you'd introduce a new food by adding one new thing, watching for a few days to note any unwanted reactions, and then if all was well, try another.

Think nutritional additions, instead of "treats" and make it a healthy addition to their diet. HTH!! HaAve fun!!1

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  5. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    I forgot to add: they *loved* the small handful of rolled oats I gave them to coax them back into their brooder after being outdoors! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by