Roller Pigeons

I think @backyard pigeons had some.

Generally three are three types of pigeon breeds, those bred to fly, those bred for utility (eating), and show breeds that don’t have special skills and are instead bred for appearance and breed standards rather than performance. With rollers there are both show types and performance flying types. They do like to fly although the idea with rollers is to get them to fly in a tight group known as a kit. Rollers are a smaller bird than a homer and they also seem to fight less in confined spaces than other breeds. Look up images of kitboxes or roller pigeon lofts to get an idea.
I see rollers on Craigslist near me for around 15$ per bird though birds with good blood or interesting paint jobs will cost more

1 Are Roller Pigeons considered fancy?
2 Do they like to fly a lot like homers?
3 What are there space requirements?
4 How much can I expect to pay for a pair?
Thanks!
Performance rollers are bred for flying, but then there are show rollers, and bald head rollers, as well as a few more fancy breeds. If you see Birmingham rollers, they are typicly performance birds.rapidly

No! They dont! They are supposed ti, but after a year of trying to get them going wekk, I was unsuccessful. They are difficult to get flying for longer than five minutes, but most people have had better luck than me.

I recommend no less than 4 sq. ft. Of ground space per bird for your breeders, and no less than two square ft. of ground space for your flyers. You will want two lofts, one for your flyers, and one for your breeders, so that you don't lose your breeders, but, if you do not fly your breeders, please give them a spacious avairy. I recommend letting them out to just wander about once a week so they have some sense of freedom.want

you can expect to pay $10 a bird for Okay ones, or $100+ for good birds proven to roll.

I found this pair on Craigslist for $20.
I would keep them for breeding purposes I wouldn't fly them ( that is why I was wondering if they like to fly).
I have some more questions about them.
1 Are these even Roller Pigeons?
2 Would a 3' x 3' loft and a 3' x 4' aviary be enough room or would I need more?
3 About how many clutches do they raise per year?
4 What do I feed them?

1599312855428.png

I found this pair on Craigslist for $20.
I would keep them for breeding purposes I wouldn't fly them ( that is why I was wondering if they like to fly).
I have some more questions about them.
2 Would a 3' x 3' loft and a 3' x 4' aviary be enough room or would I need more?
4 What do I feed them?

View attachment 2320944

Cock looks like a performance bred bird, but feathered legs indicate possible cross. Hen looks questionable to me.

Housing you describe is minimal but functional for a pair. As suggested do an online search on kit boxes.

I would pair birds mid Feb., and by August most pairs would have raised 5 rounds of young. I would then separate the pairs.

I fed European Supreme - I would not recommend fermented feed for pigeons.

In the Craigslist listing the description is:
"a pair of rollers--$20
trio of roller/fantail cross-$25"
So its possible they might have some fantail in them.

4 What do I feed them?
they are probably rollers, but are they bred for performance? I don't know. You could ask the seller.

The loft would be perfect for one pair, but not many more. What if you did a 4×4 walk in loft, with a 4×4 aviary behind it, that could keep up to 4 pairs, since it would have the good sized aviary.

I don't like to breed more than three clutches a year out of my birds. It takes a lot out of them. SO, they could do 6-8, but three is much better, and they will live and be able to breed for longer.

for my breeders, I feed a pigeon mix with 25% chicken layer pellets, this is when they raise their babies. sometimes the parents will feed the babies to soon after eating, and not wait for the grain to be broken down by the grit, but with the pellets, they can be fed right away.

For my flyers, I feed a grain only mixture, with 25% wheat added in. Both of the base mixtures for the grain is this brand. if you buy two bags, it's free shipping. Don't worry, it last a long time. 50 pounds plus the pellets\wheat last me a month and a few days for 60 birds.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjauOKMtNLrAhVQgVoFHYtFDcAYABAGGgJ2dQ&ae=1&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASEuRourqd2R12318rOzJuW6otUg&sig=AOD64_25FlCIq8wJg_9SNpY7WPmfzmTG2Q&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjn9NqMtNLrAhVB1VkKHfKzD9oQwg96BAgMEBw&adurl=https://www.chewy.com/bluebonnet-feeds-top-choice-pigeon/dp/231973?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Bluebonnet%20Feeds&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2rjijLTS6wIVUIFaBR2LRQ3AEAQYAiABEgJ3tfD_BwE

@backyard pigeons
Have you ever tried fermenting pigeon feed? If so can you share how to do it?
Thank you!
no, it isn't good for pigeons. They need hard fresh grain. The mixture I mentioned above is what I like, but here's an example of what it should look like, roughly

IMG_20190514_112928.jpg
IMG_20190202_122920.jpg

I also added a picture of a 5×3 coop i built for a single pair, just to give you an idea.

You may want to build a kit box down the line for the flyers. Something like 4x3x4ft high .The flyers will be on a different diet They are usually fed wheat,milo,and either a canadian or austrian pea. Once you trap train them you will be ready to let them out. They will fly for about 40 to45 minutes. When they are done they should land back on the kit box and be called in with your feed call. You may want to join the National Birmingham Roller Club. They are full of information and you could see who raises them around you and go check out their loft and pick their brain. And who knows maybe score some birds. They have good flyers in Illinois. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom