1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roller style of egg turner??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flyweed, Dec 9, 2011.

1. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    Hi all

I am going to build a small Sportsman style cabinet bator to incubate 4 or 5 Emu eggs...and with Emu eggs they need to be rolled 3 times a day, rather than just being turned......anyway..does anyone know of a DIY roller type turner on the forums here, or a roller type turner that is available for sale somewhere on the net????

Thanks for any help
    Dan

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I have been thinking about constructing the same thing, and I'll try to describe what I have come up with:

My incubator is a styrofoam unit with a wire floor. I am putting down a small area of kitchen cabinet liner (the kind with a rough surface) in the middle. I will secure the liner to the floor via running string through the four corners and tying them to the wire.

Now, I am going to get a large cheap tupperware lid from Walmart (maybe more than one depending on number of eggs, and I am going to cut holes in the top so that the eggs rest within the holes, but also touch the liner underneath.

The last part will be a wood dowel that I will attach to the lid through trial and error ("glue... nope that didn't work.... cutting... ack my arm!"). The dowel will travel through the wall of the brooder via a small hole I cut there.

So, the theory is that when I push/pull on the dowel outside of the brooder, it will move the lid over the liner material, which will catch the eggs and roll them. I also like this set-up because I can create a track that will allow the eggs to change location within the incubator, which is recommended for still-airs.

I can update you on how well it works, if you like. I plan on spending 5 dollars on this venture [​IMG] Of course, for Emu eggs, you'd need larger materials, but the principals should work the same.

3. flyweed

flyweed Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Holmen
    I think I am going to get some dowels and create sort of a "hot dog" style roller setup/insert that will fit into the bator..the eggs will lay on their sides on the "roller" and then I can roll them that way..Not sure of a power source just yet, but will figure something out.

Dan

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Well, ive settled for styrofoam for breathability, and im very pleased with the results. All if the eggs turn in precisely the same amount, and di a full rotation. It only took me a morning to complete. Its not automated, but it sure beats handturning!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by