roman tufted or plain headed geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Willjg, May 14, 2008.

1. Willjg

Willjg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Hey there,

Does anyone have experience with Roman Tufted or Roman plain headed geese?
    Am thinking of getting some small geese, something not as messy as the larger breeds and was curious about these.

Thanks!

Bill.

2. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Hi Bill, I have had the tufted variety and they are pretty nice geese. Not as noisy as some I've had.....never seemed aggressive. If you think you might want to try them I think you'd like them. [​IMG]

3. Willjg

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Thanks! :)

Wow, now you are making it harder to resist ordering some goslings!

Bill.

4. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Oh, I can offer you no resistance - geese are my weakness... [​IMG]

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have tufted. They are very nice geese and I find them to be great parents and very protective of their young. They're obviously small. I have some 2 month old Embdens which are nearly as big as them. [​IMG]

6. Willjg

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    I love the Emdens too!

I miss having geese, I had to get rid of mine years ago because they were too messy...plus when they had babies and walked them up the street people would steal them, or some would try to run them over, made me so mad.

(I had American Buff and Toulouse)

I thought maybe a small breed goose would be easier, so I have been researching.

Take Care!
    Bill.

7. chickabella

chickabella Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Central Texas
    A little late to the discussion, but just wanted to plug the tufted romans as well. They're fairly quiet, and very sweet. Love them!

8. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Does anyone have eggs for sale? I want some, but I do not want to order the minimums that they require at the hatcheries.

9. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I just got some Roman Tufted eggs off an old friend who is an Ebay seller. $6. for 3 eggs. It looks like I have definite fertility in 2 of the eggs. I just love the little tufts on their heads!

Laurie

10. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    Well, I thought I had two roman's, but one turned out to be I think a Buff - she's beautiful either way, but no tuft. He has a tuft and is quite stately! They gibber to each other all the time, the roman is more constantly talking than the buff, but when she talks, she's serious-however, neither is loud albeit they are only 5 weeks old today. He loves love, and she does too but she's more shy, but he's also alpha. To my knowledge, they haven't learned to honk yet, and this I gotta hear!! You wil love love them-maybe next year I'll have eggs ;-) jennifer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by