Romeo duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bspin26, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bspin26

Bspin26 New Egg

Sep 11, 2014
    This spring I added 6 new hens and 2 ducks to our flock of 11 hens. One of the ducks is a male. He has recently began showing romantic intentions to one of our hens. She is an older hen. He is a white pekin duck. She is a silver lace wyandot. He is relentless. He chases her all over the yard. She has been coming up on the deck during the day to get away from him. Is there anything I can do? Or is this just normal?? I feel bad for her. She literally hides behind me when I am outside so I can protect her.

2. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Either A) get rid of that drake and find one with a better temperament - my drakes never bother the chickens, or B) keep them penned separately. I'm afraid if you keep things the way they are, he'll run your hen into the ground.

3. Bspin26

Bspin26 New Egg

Sep 11, 2014
    I wondered if I would have to get rid of him. It is only one hen but he is persistent. He may need a new home.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I am sorry but get the drake out of there ASAP..Drakes have a penis as Roosters do not...Chicken hens do not have the anatomy to be bred by Drakes...He will kill her....Go do it as soon as possible...You might need to find a home for him or have two pens for Ducks and Chickens........

5. Bspin26

Bspin26 New Egg

Sep 11, 2014
    Thank you for your help. He is moving to a new home tomorrow.

6. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Awesome....Sorry you dealt with the issues.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by