"Romeo" is a ?? rumpless Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sweetpeafarm, Jan 30, 2014.

1. sweetpeafarm

sweetpeafarm Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    Crystal River, FL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK - I need this straightened out - I have read so much - he is NOT an Auracana - no tufts coming from his cheeks -
    he just "appeared" out of the lineage of the regular Ameraucanas I always hatch.
    What is he - and what is his color labeled - and what is the genetic factor involved - is the rumplessness dominant or recessive? He is the only one out of hundreds of Ameraucana eggs hatched.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My understanding is rumplessness is recessive, we've seen it pop up in Wyandottes and I think Sussex on this board over the years, plus the more common Ameraucana or Easter egger. I'd say he's an Easter egger rooster, he's not any specific/named color. What color(s) Ameraucana are you hatching?

3. sweetpeafarm

sweetpeafarm Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    Crystal River, FL
    Mostly browns. Some whites. I do many LF Frizzles out of them - and get browns, blacks, and whites. I have never gotten his coloring before.

4. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    My question is, is the line of Ameraucanas you bred him from actually Ameraucana's? If the original stock was from a hatchery it's 99% that they are actually Easter Eggers and not Ameraucanas. That being said, if they are from hatchery stock then getting a rumpless is a possability as there could have been some Auracana in the line (hatcheries do use Auracana crossed with other breeds in their EE lines to get blue egg layers) and you were just lucky enough to get Auracana traits in that roo. Your roo does show a lot of Ameraucana traits in his beard and muff and slate/green legs and the Auracana rumpless trait. I would say he is an EE since he doesn't exhibit any standard Ameraucana breed standards. It would be interesting to see if he passes the rumpless traits on to his offspring.

5. LilRedRoo

LilRedRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Bremond, Texas
    Very nice looking roo; we had three red broilers this year that were rumpless out of a batch of 25, so I couldn't help but wonder how exactly that happened and what breeds were being used for the red broilers. They were from Ideal, but we've already eaten them, so no chance for breeding them for anything.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Browns? Do you mean Brown Red, maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by