romeotheinterloper bad chickin

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken moma, Jun 18, 2016.

1. chicken moma

chicken moma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    Hawaii
    [​IMG]

I have 5 feral chicken 1, 2 year hen 1, 12 mos hen with 3 chicks, 2 roos and a hen 6mos. Romeotheinterloper has come up from the100 wild down the road. He is making trouble with all the hens and chasing off the 2 boys (Only one has found his voice so far) the noise is unbearable. Romeo is persistent. And will not stay away. He chases my boys on to the road (I have lost one hen to traffic) Romeo has to go. But cant catch him. I can pen the others no problem but if they are loose big problem. Don’t know how to remove romeo, he is wiley. The noise is the big problem the hens make more then the roos. There is only so much I can do to protect them they are wild but we cant handle the noise when romeo is around it is relentless. He is a beautiful bird. But a pain! what do I do?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If it's legal I might use a gun. Otherwise your best chances are at dark if you know where he's roosting you can potentially catch him. I use a long handled fishing net to catch chickens but if you are quicker than me you should be able to grab him, but make sure you hold on as he will go nuts, and try to get away.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pen up the hens, and then bait a live catch/havaheart type trap with chicken feed to trap Romeo. Chicken soup on the menu.

4. chicken moma

chicken moma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    Hawaii
    Kids came and stole my boyz, (again) bait them just off the property and grab them, in front of me. By the time I get to the door, they are gone.
    I am so done with chickens!
    we now have everyone and his brother coming up from the wild pop down the road because we dont have a Roo here! the noise under my windows is gun worthy.
    our last chick, born easter, may or likely not, be a Roo. too soon for me to tell, then. . . no new born to us.
    The 3, born here, hens are going to take a walk and be relocated, that hopefully will stop the influx?
    I will not raise another beautiful boy to have him die fighting at the hands of a stupid kid (reguardless of their actual age)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by