Ronald Mcdonald House

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rubyrogue, Jul 6, 2010.

1. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Last week my son had to have surgery. The hospital was 2 hours away from home. Being a single mom and not knowing an exact time frame we would have to be there I contacted the Ronald Mcdonald House. They were so nice and it was all about what they could do for me. They told me I could stay 1 night up to how ever long I needed. The house itself was beyond words. It was stocked with every type of food imaginable and we were expected to help ourselves. There were different play areas for the kids. Fortunately I only needed to stay one night as my sons surgery had no complications, but there were moms and dads there with 28 wk preemies and cancer patients that stayed much longer. The house provided anything they could from digital cameras to passes to local attractions to make the stay easier. Your were expected to treat the house as your house. The staff was soo so nice and put every visitors needs first. They ask a donation of 10 dollars a night but if you cant afford it they do what they can. When I left I gave them another $10 to help another family "share a night" I dont know if i can say this but if anyone is looking to donate to a great cause, please look into ronald mcdonald house. you can donate a night(s) food, new clothing, toys, or volunteer to cook meals. anyways just wanted to share my experience with an awesome place. If you would like more info just let me know I would love to share more about my visit, I cant stop talking about how awesome it was.

2. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    We stayed at the one in Orlando at Arnold Palmer hospital when my son had to stay in the NICU for 3 days. What a relief since he was born 4 days after Christmas and we lived over 1 1/2 hours away. We donated household items after our stay, definitely support your Ronald McDonald houses! The houses are kept beautiful and the staff was so helpful.

3. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I stayed at the ronold mc donald house when my daughter got burned 16 years ok. It is a great plae. I donate almost evertime I go eat at mcdonalds.

4. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    I'm not sure if it's just the one near us, but they collect "pop tops" as a fundraiser. Such an awesome place.

5. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    This one also collected the pop tabs as well as recycled cell phones and printer cartriges. I just couldnt believe all the options available for families that were staying there.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

This is one of the most stellar charities out there to donate to. The other one is my charity of choice - St. Jude's. They FUND these surgeries for children whose parents cannot afford it. So the two charities together make it possible for children to survive and their parents to have a safe place to be.

7. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Never stayed in a Ronald McDonald house myself....only about two hours
    from the hospital to my home, I've always elected to leave the McDonalds
    rooms for familys that needed it more.

I have though stayed in the room with my daughter. I like her a lot...

Ronald McDonald is an awesome charity, and I do my change from McDonalds.
    Sometimes only a few nickles, sometimes a few dollars.

St Jude's, we send a yearly check.

We also support our local Big Brother / Big Sister chapter and a host of other
    programs.

Like the story in the other thread....We can't make a difference to everyone,
    but we can each make a difference to someone.

8. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

My wife and I donate to and do other things for the Ronald McDonald House in Indianapolis. We didn't stay there 35+41 years ago when our daughter was in the Riley Children's Hospital two times following pyloric synosis as a newborn and after a hip operation when she was six because we were living in Indianapolis and could go home easily and/or stay in my daughter's room. We can't imagine what those periods of time would have been like were we not residing in Indianapolis and there had been no R.M. House for us.

9. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    Shriners burn unit is also a great plae to donate to. when my daughter was burned they were awesome and they treated her until she was 15 years . and they never harged me a penny. she would still be seen there exept I quit taking her beause she no longer needs treatment and they ould use that slot for someone else

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by