Ronidazole safe for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rugbyrebel, Sep 15, 2016.

1. rugbyrebel

rugbyrebel Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Hello,

One of my chickens has canker (trichomoniasis). I treated her individually with metronidazole and it cleared up. However, it has since come back (and will likely continue to since she's a carrier). I haven't seen any of the other chickens with it yet but I'd like to treat the whole flock with Ronidazole to be sure. The package also says as a preventative the water can be treated once a month.

I have 3 ducks that have access to my chicken's water. (They do have their own pond they tend to drink from the most). I'm wondering if the Ronidazole is dangerous for them. Anyone know this or have a reference? I've read numerous articles and unable to find an answer.

Any input would be great, thanks.

2. rugbyrebel

rugbyrebel Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    I just found this website which actually discusses waterfowl (finally) and is referenced with seemingly legit sources.

It says treatment for trichomoniasis in waterfowl: Dimetridazole, 8g per 30 litres of drinking water, for 12 days, or metronidazole.

Chickens for reference:
    • Metronidazole 1g/litre drinking water for five days
    • Ronidazole, 100-200mg/litre drinking water for five days
    • Dimetridazole 400mg/litre drinking water for three days

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Trichomoniasis_Flagellate_Infection.htm

Still nothing on ronidazole for ducks that I can see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by