1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Ronny, don't fall off!" (movie Secretariat)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by welsummerchicks, Oct 31, 2010.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    This was a really enjoyable movie with great photography. The actors seemed to catch the character of many of the people around Secretariat. But the race scenes, they were really the best and that 'jockey helmet cam' was really super, you get to watch Ron Turcotte get completely pelted with dirt as the horse breaks dead last and then passes every horse in the race.

The 'Ronny don't fall off' line was Lucien Lauren, to the jockey Ron Turcotte, at the point where Secretariat was about 25 lengths ahead of Sham, and Sham, I don't even KNOW how far ahead of the pack he was. Meaning, the only possible way Secretariat could have lost that day was if Ron Turcotte just FELL...OFF...that was the Belmont.

I remember watching that race when I was young and having the same reaction - wondering how what I was seeing, could even be possible. I think I cried my eyes out through that whole race, it was just - it was not possible what that horse did.

There was a funny scene at the start of the race where Sham's jockey says, 'You're going to eat dirt today', and Ron Turcotte says, 'I don't think so'.

That day Secretariate won by 31 lengths. Another great thing I got to witness in my lifetime.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I was also a youngster that could not believe what had just happened. Amazing horse it was!

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I wasn't around then, but my mom went to the Derby the year Riva Ridge won (the year before Secretariat).

The video though. Just....wow.

"He is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine!"

I love Chic Anderson's calling [​IMG]

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Would love to see that movie. I did get to see Winning Colors be the 3rd filly to win the derby [​IMG]

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Wow, booker, I just watched the video & got goosebumps just like I did at 16 years old when I watched the race! TOO COOL!!!

6. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    This was an absolutely fabulous movie! I just loved it!

7. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I just saw the movie Sat night with the grandkids, they said "That was awesome"! I used to own a granddaughter of Secretariat, a 2 yr old 17 HH filly. She was great running the long distances but as a 2 yr old couldn't do it. I didn't have the money at the time to keep her in training for another year. [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    welsummerchicks, I was at that race with my grandfather. I remember as he approached the last turn I began crying and telling my Grandfather "Don't let Secretariat die Don't let him die". No movie clip or replay of that race can evoke the feelings of being there that day. God was riding him that day.

Ronnie said after the race that when he got curious in the straight away and looked back just to see where everyone else was that he scared himself.

The factual reason he was superhorse and there will be no other like him...Secretariat's heart was twice the size of a normal horse's heart. It was a huge healthy heart that allowed him to process oxygen more efficiently that the normal heart. Years later, they discovered that the huge heart came from his grandsire, who gave it to his Dam who in turn gave it to her son, Secretariat. It goes from sire down to his daughter down to her son. It is unknown as of yet, if any of Secretariat's grandsons have this heart...time will tell.

I cannot wait to see the movie myself, some of it was filmed here in lexington at Keenland as well as Churchill Down in Louisville.

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:I read that and got chill bumps .. then my eyes welled up with tears ..

I never get tired of seeing this horse run .....

*sigh*

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:I read that and got chill bumps .. then my eyes welled up with tears ..

I never get tired of seeing this horse run .....

*sigh*

That and when he says "he's all alone"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by