Roo aggressive toward men

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by huntingirl, Mar 29, 2016.

1. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    Hi. My RIR rooster is very aggressive towards all men. If it's a woman, he heards them into the flock and will sit next to them. If it's a man he meets, he will charge them when they turn their back. Please help! I'm scared he will hurt someone or get himself hurt by messing with the UPS man or someone else. It's ONLY men. I am NOT going to euthanize him or give him away. We need a rooster out here to protect the hens.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could try giving a water pistol to any man that goes near your flock - a few squirts may do the trick and put him back in his place. I'd suggest searching "dealing with aggressive roos" and see what pops up.

Guess you could always keep a couple of wigs and high heels in the porch? [​IMG]

Good luck
    CT

3. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    I'll try the water gun idea. Gotta go get some wigs and plastic heels... Lol

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    How old is your boy? He may escalate his behavior, and is dangerous. Delivery people will not be forgiving if injured! He's not doing his job when he's going after human visitors!!! Mary

5. huntingirl

Feb 11, 2016
    He's is 8 months. He doesn't really go for the delivery people but I'm worried he will one day. As you said, behavior escalates. But it's only men! Not little boys and not girls or women.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I think that it's very likely he will only get worse, sorry. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by