1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo and Hens are being "picky"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigbadwolf38, Jan 7, 2015.

1. bigbadwolf38

bigbadwolf38 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    I have 1 roo and 3 hens that are being a little mean to a new hen. I understand the pecking order and all, but I don't get why the roo is doing it. It's been 3 days, how much longer should I let it go? She is a June hatch that I kept (from the birds that are being mean), been in a cage attached to the main run (I call it my starter cage), so the birds have seen each other. HELP!!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It sounds pretty normal so far. The young one will learn her place soon enough but if she has been alone all this time she has no clue. As long as they are not making her bloody, it will get sorted out in a week or two. The rooster expects absolute order and the new hen cannot go to feed before the top hen. If top hen is mad, rooster will jump in to insist on order in his house.

3. bigbadwolf38

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ok. I actually had 4 chicks in the starter cage, but 3 were roosters. So I found them new homes. My Molly had only been alone for a day when I moved her to the other run. So far, no blood shed. Just a lot of feather pulling...

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    No matter, I still think they'll work it out. I have a white hen who was getting her feathers pulled out by the roosters and the hens, bottom hen of flock of 15. I painted her purple with no pick lotion for three days straight. I saw a hen pick the area right after I put it on. Clearly the white hen tasted terrible all of a sudden, it was funny. Anyway, she is still the lowest but her feathers are growing again and she just gets a peck in the head now and then. The purple stains are slowly fading away. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. bigbadwolf38

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    That's good to know. Where did you get the purple stuff? My little girl is black, so it shouldn't be that noticeable.

6. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It's called Rooster Booster pick no more cover up lotion and I got it at TSC. Little brown bottle with an orange cap.

7. bigbadwolf38

May 3, 2012
    Central Texas
    Thanks! I'll check into that!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by