roo and pullet breed...? UPDATE... I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DirtCreature, Sep 6, 2011.

1. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    [​IMG]i bought some chicks a couple weeks ago, one is ibviously a roo and i also have a girl in the same breed. I know they are a mix of two breeds does anyone know what they might be? thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE. the lady emailed me back and let me know they are lavender orpington/wheaten maran crosses. thanks to everyone. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Looks like a Speckled Sussex roo.

3. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    what two breeds make a speckled sussex?

4. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    The Speckled Sussex is a pure breed that was developed over time by combing a number of breeds... Your chicks don't really look like speckled sussex...
    they have the pink feet but too light coloring so could be half sussex

5. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    the lady i got them from didnt have any speckled sussex. she said they where a cross between something (i cant remember what) and a white something or other... she had a pen with all white hens and a rooster i think that was white with black head....

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's no speckled Sussex. [​IMG] Speckled Sussex start out red with huge patches of white, THEN turn into mottling months later.

You sure about the parentage though? They look kind of like Blue Wheatens or Creles or something.

7. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    Illia,
    i bought them form this lady in Yelm, i went out to her house in the first place for some BLRW chicks (which i really think are splashes) anyways. we went out to the pens. she had a bunch of runs with 3-4 hens in each and a rooster of the same breed. in one of the runs she had those white ones, and when we went back up to the house to get the chicks, we got the BLRW and thsoe two where in there with 3 all black chicks, so we took the two little guys with the three BLRW's. I asked her what they where and she said something and a white something or other cross. I only remember seeing the white roo and hens. she also told me that they where all straight run and no hatchery stock. so idk.... [​IMG]

8. Chickydoo

Chickydoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Fox Island, WA
    Interested to see them as they grow!!?? You should keep us posted!

9. DirtCreature

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    Quote:I will, i will post pictures again in a couple weeks so we can try again. thanks for all your help guys. [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Later pics would really help, but also pics in less lighting (or not so bright on the feathers so I can see 'em better) help as well. [​IMG]

Whatever they are, they likely have either Sussex, Orpington, or Marans behind them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by