Roo and pullet was wondering the breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by all4god09, Aug 29, 2014.

1. all4god09

all4god09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

this is my Roo....around 2 months old

[​IMG]

my pullet...same age...

Can anyone tell me what they might be

The rooster was a barred rock (but that's all I know for sure)

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If their father was a Barred Rock, then they are not a purebred breed--they are mixed breeds. The rooster looks as though he could have some Black Copper Marans in him. And I definitely see the Barred Rock in the pullet, but other than that, I don't know what her mother was. It can be very hard to tell what went into a mixed breed.

3. all4god09

Jun 19, 2014
    Thank you! The people we got the eggs from had a barred rock rooster,
    their hens were
    silver laced Wyandotte
    barred rock
    buff orpington
    (some all black breed)
    another Wyandotte
    and a black and white spotted something. lol

but that helps a lot thank you!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure what exactly the mother was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the Wyandottes or the Barred Rock (Wyandottes would contribute a rose comb to the offspring, if it was a Barred Rock, these birds would look like purebred Barred Rocks).

I suppose that leaves the "black and white spotted something" or the Buff Orpington as the mother!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I've just gone and done some research, and am pretty sure that the mother of the pullet was the Buff Orpington. Here is a link with some photos of Barred Rock rooster/Buff Orpington hen crosses: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/413047/crossing-buff-orpingtons-with-barred-rocks.

However, the roosters from that cross are usually also barred. I'm not seeing any barring on your rooster. Is it possible that the two birds had different mothers?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're both mixed breed, and the father was likely a black sex link, not a pure barred Rock. That would account for the cockerel having no barring whatsoever, and the very light messy barring on the pullet.

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    That's true. A Black Sex-Link rooster can look very much like a Barred Plymouth Rock rooster.

8. all4god09

Jun 19, 2014
    Awesome! thanks for all the help! The pictures were great! From now on I'll be able to keep track of what I hatch. haha.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on the father likely being a Black Sex Link. BSL roosters look very similar to Barred Rock roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by