Roo anxiety!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ZooMummzy, May 31, 2008.

1. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Ever since getting one roo in my batch of first time chicks, I'm paranoid even though I'm pretty sure I have all girls. There was no mistaking he was a roo even at 3 months, but I've heard that sometimes it's not so obvious. The more I read here and look at pictures the crazier I get so I thought I'd just take some pictures of the hopefully girls tonight while I was in the coop. Help me out BYC experts? They are all just over 3 months old.

[​IMG]

This is Lottie, my Buff Orp. She sits in my lap or near me every night and coos to me.

[​IMG]

This is Jasmine and Nina, Black Sex Links. Neither of them had a white spot on their head as chicks. That's Alice, my other Buff Orp, with her head in the treat bowl, lol. She is a chow hound but the smallest of the bunch.

[​IMG]

This is Emmaline and Gertrude.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    From what I can see I am going out on a limb and say all pullets.

When you post photos asking for gener ID you really need to do more than post the face with comb and wattles. I have hens you might think are roosters compared to other hens. Ideally we need to see a side shot with their saddle and tail feathers and feet and legs along with the front facing photos. A comb and wattle is not always an indication and in many breeds it is a combination of saddle/hackle feathering and feet and legs as well as body structure that aides in IDing them.

You'll know for sure when you get eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by