Roo attacked husband

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jasmine1998, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    So, my GLW rooster who is exactly 5 months old now attacked my husband last night. It was the first time he went to round them up without me there & when he picked up one of the hens the rooster just went nuts & came after him. Mike punted him 5 times before he gave up & stoped attacking him. So today & went around & picked up every hen I could find right in front of him & he would not do anything to me. If this happens again he will either have to be re-homed or become dinner as I already have a wonderful dark Brahma roo. Any suggestions for my husband so that he does not get attacked again.

2. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Where do I get a roo like that? [​IMG]

Just kidding. Have your hubby go out, grab him and hold him at least once a day. Don't let him struggle or flap his wings. I have the family tuck the roo in the cradle of their arms like a baby. Works for us.

3. Supernatural

Supernatural Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Des Moines
    Do you just have the one roo? Is there a reason you're rounding them up and putting them in the coop, instead of letting them go in on their own?

Your roo is just doing his job, protecting his hens from whatever he sees as a threat (obviously doesn't view you that way, which is good). He will also lead his hens back to the coop as it starts to get dark, so they will go in on their own and later you can go close the door after them. You could try to get him used to your husband like wildeflowers said, too. BUT If there is some reason you have to round them up, and if there is just the one dominant roo, I'd try picking the roo up first to put him away rather than starting with the hens. They may even follow you (or your husband) and the roo into the coop.

4. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Normally they do go into the coop by themselves right before dark but we were going over to a friends house for dinner (I was already over there) and we wanted them to be safe since we do have foxes around since we would not be back till after dark. He is not the dominant roo either, Bob the dark brahma is our alpha roo. The GLW roo won't even go near the alpha roo or even look in his direction.

5. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Quote:I totally agree. [​IMG]
    I just wrote a huge long post about how to deal with an aggressive rooster, but I think you pretty much just summed it up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by