Roo attacking returning hen

theoldfarmhouse

Chirping
Feb 29, 2016
We have had a great experience with our roo- he’s gentle with the ladies, offering them food and standing up to the barking dog on the other side of the fence. However, we’ve had a buff Sussex raising two chicks in a pen that is inside the coop and today I thought I’d let her out for a dustbath. Her chicks are about 12 weeks old and she hasn’t been out for that time. The younger hens had a go at her but then the roo got very violent with her - chasing her around where she lay down and he stood over her and kept pecking at her neck. Suffice to say I scooped her up popped her back in the chick pen. Will this sort of behaviour simmer down or will the roo end up hurting or killing the hen?
Thanks,
Jay

Sometimes it takes a few days to a week or so to get them back into the flock. Your rooster was being a bit excessive. I do see some fighting with a broody when I release them. Generally I let mom and chicks out when the chicks are 2-3 weeks, and the hen remains within sight during her brooding. Keep letting her out and penning her back up if it gets to be too much until everyone settles back down.

Thank you! I think it might be the roo reacting because the broody is pecking at his favourite hens and he’s protecting them. I might try penning the roo so the girls can sort out the pecking order before letting him back in the fray.

The pen is part of the coop but segregated, yes. Their “free range area is large, around 100m2. We have dogs that will kill chickens so they are kept behind a fence but small chickens and chicks can get through so they are kept in the pen, in full view of the others until they are old enough and big enough to be introduced to the flock - done so successfully before but roo was one of the newbies then...

Back
Top Bottom