Roo attacking us!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sweetappleacres, Oct 16, 2013.

1. sweetappleacres

sweetappleacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    We've recently acquired a new member of the flock- a 6 mo old silkie roo. They lady said he was nice and likes to be held, which is somewhat true. Before he gets "nice enough to be held" he attacks us when we go into the shed. Idk if it's the change in environment (although he didn't do that the 1st day) or if it's that he's "frustrated". I have another male & female in the same shed, but separated and my theory is that he's hostile bc he wants to get to the hen. Any thoughts? And what do I do to better the situation? Help!!!

2. MrRedandCrew

MrRedandCrew Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Central Illinois
    The previous owner "said" he was nice. Do you know that for a fact or is that maybe why she was re-homing him? I handfed and loved on my roo from day one, especially once I realized he was a he, hoping to make him more gentle. Didn't work, he's meany and has challenged me twice... And met the toe of my boot twice. I try to avoid quick or loud movements around him and if he's in coop, I throw scratch in the run to get him out of coop. Maybe these ideas will help you out. Does he have access to any hens? Maybe he's sexually frustrated....;)

3. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
    He doesn't at this time. He was nice and calm until I put the other pair in there. They're my show birds so I don't want him around them. And my other girls are with the flock that my alpha roo has firming told him to stay away. His only friend is his other roo buddy. My other Roos love me. They know I often come bearing gifts. He may just need time. And a lady.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Take him back, or rehome him, or cull him. No reason for a rooster to be aggressive to a human, and don't make excuses for him. Lots of us keep roosters in bachelor pads where they have no access to hens and we don't tolerate any attacks or signs of aggression. Lack of mating does not mean aggression to humans. Thinking he is the boss of you means aggression to humans. He's telling you he's not a pet.

5. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
    He's calmed down some. He hasn't attacked me anymore, but he doesn't care for my daughter. Hopefully he settles in within the week or so.

6. MrRedandCrew

MrRedandCrew Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Central Illinois
    How old is your daughter? My son is 5 and our Roo does not like him, but is ok with me coming in the coop. We have a large chicken tractor, so thankfully the rooster never encounters our son.

7. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
    She is 11 and handles them more than I do. I only handle the nice ones. Once she gets that roo he's fine. Falls asleep in her arms even. I really think it's just about him getting to know her and trust that she's there to love him. He hasn't attacked me since. My pyrenese gets in his way and since I let him free range with my others I'm sure if he started attacking me the dominant head roo would kick his butt. Maybe? Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by