Roo behaviors ...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoodEgg, Sep 15, 2007.

1. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Songster

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I wanted to put it in one post ...

First the question: I'm curious, because I have 3 little roos and I know at least 2 of them are crowing. I hear them probably about 20 times a day or more. But I've never SEEN them, except for one time I sneaked up and watched through the bushes when I heard the little jap roo crowing. I am wondering if it's a coincidence, or if roos maybe don't crow much in the presence of an alpha roo (if that's what I am to them)?

And secondly, I just wanted to say that since the other day when one of my little partridge rock banty roos "saved" a pullet from an over-enthusiastic drake before I could get there to knock him off, I've been being especially nice to him. Last night in the coop, he got up on the roost near me (which normally he stays as far away as he can!) and let me pet him without even trying to bite me, and I picked him up and petted him for a while (which I've never done before) and he acted like he was going to go to sleep when I petted alongside his comb. When I put him back on the roost he just settled in.

I hope I'm not spoiling him and inviting an attack later, but I enjoyed that little moment.

They still keep away from me in the yard, and I've only seen one try to grab a pullet while I was there in the last few days (when they first started I had to chase them off one every 7 minutes or so).

I hope this can last and it's not just the "calm before the storm" before they grow up. They are about 15 weeks now.

trish

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My roos are 20 weeks old. We have gone through some of the things
    you mentioned.

Our Alpha (Cali White) was the first to crow and did so several times a day
    but not too much. Now that the others are crowing he just lets them crow for him.
    He has been my favorite bird so far because of his cool tempermant. Last
    night when I turned my back to him he attacked my feet but ran away when
    I turned around. This was unexpected.

None of my roos are happy when you try to pick them up outside. Once you do
    they are all really friendly.

Our silkie roos are crowers. They won't shut up. They are fearless and act
    like roos.

Our RIR roo is just starting to crow. He's the least happy to be picked up
    but will settle down in your arms after a while.

ALL OUR ROOS ARE TEARING OUR GIRLS APART!! (Horny ba****ds)

We are trying to find homes for the silkies. Our standards will most likely be
    culled once they get aggressive.

Don't worry about spoiling. Chickens don't work that way. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  3. Mac

Mac Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    I found a great home for my two RIR roos. They too were tearing apart four of the RIR hens and one frizzle black cochin. I was sorry to see them go, but the "coop dynamic" has now changed from anxious to easy going with only hens. I would love a roo sometime in the future, but he would have to be one that didn't abuse the hens. Like Suade, I guess.

What about my hens completely bare and red backs? Will they recover on their own with the upcoming fall molt?

4. ella

ella Songster

That's great you're bonding with him Trish, it doesn't guarantee that he'll stay sweet, but it doesn't hurt!

From the behavior you're describing it does sound like they see you as the dominant one. They will crow in the presence of the dominant rooster, but only if they have a solid relationship and are sure of their position as beta. Otherwise they'll go out of sight to crow. It's especially funny to hear a muffled crow coming from a tree [​IMG]

Fifteen weeks old is still very young and things will change as they get older and get hormonal. If you have enough hens and enough space the storm won't last long before they all settle down. [​IMG] Just remember that you're in charge- no question.

Hey Mac, completely red and bare backs will be just fine after the molt. If the new feathers are getting picked clean you might have to separate the hens for a week or two to give them a chance to get started. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: