roo bleeding from his butt ..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wny egger, Dec 7, 2014.

1. wny egger

wny egger Chirping

Mar 27, 2014
    wny
    i went this morning and seen blood dripping from my roo's butt side under his tail ..he wont let me catch him to check it out ..i seen a hen go up under his tail and peck at it ..i seen blood on his beak..i need to no what to put on it to stop the bleeding ..i will catch him and put him in a cat box till it heals but i thought i read some were to use blu kote on wounds to stop bleeding ..any help or suggestions would be great ..thank you

2. StephensonC

StephensonC Songster

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    You can use corn starch or flour to stop the bleeding. The Blu-Kote won't actually stop the bleeding. It is used to stain the area to keep the others from pecking at it. Do you know why it's bleeding? Cases of lice or mites will cause bleeding from the vent area. Could you get a picture of the wound so we can try to advise on how to treat it?

3. wny egger

wny egger Chirping

Mar 27, 2014
    wny
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    sorry not better pics ..i think he maybe has mites . the blood seemed to be around the feather base and on the feathers ..no real wound i could see ..i moved his feathers around and all i could see was blood on the feathers ..his vent or butt looked ok ...i cleaned with a warm water soaked rag and washed off what i could then sprayed with blue kote ..i been powdering as many birds as i could this last week but hadnt gotten him yet ..tonite i was going to dust him but now i guess i'll have to wait ..or do you think it would be ok to dust him tonite still ..he seems ok excpt for the butt i noticed others pecking that area and thats how i found he was bleeding ..i left him in the pen with the others ..it seems the bleeding had stopped when i treated him ..so there were no cuts or scratches as far as i could tell..i'll give it a day and keep an eye on him and see how it heals ..but if you think i should go ahead and dust him for mites tonite i will ..thanks again ..i'll wait for your reply ....

4. StephensonC

StephensonC Songster

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Yes, it's fine to go ahead and dust him. What are you dusting with? You will need to do it again in 7-10 days.

5. Feathyr

Feathyr Songster

Aug 21, 2014
    Idaho
    You did the right thing; just keep a close eye on him and make sure his girls don't continue to peck. Blu-Kote normally stops the problem, but it will take more than that to deter persistent birds. Looking at the pictures, I would have to say he has mites - one of my roos looked similar early in the year.

EDIT:
    I'm not sure what dust you're using, but you should consider dusting the coop (nest boxes, roosts, and floor) as well.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  6. wny egger

wny egger Chirping

Mar 27, 2014
    wny
    yeah i figured as much ,..i am using red lake DE..its the grey powder ..i cant find the white stuff around here ..should i treat him with more blu kote in 7 to 10 days or just dust him again in that time ..i thought i was staying on top of the mite problum but i guess i missed a dusting ..

red lake DE..i just cleaned the coop out and dusted everything ..i have been dusting the flock but hadnt gotten him yet ..but tonites the nite he gets a real heavy dusting ...i was treating a few wellie hens with pick no more ..should i put some of that on him as well you think ..or should i treat with more blu kote ..

thanks ..you guys made me feel much better about the situation..i'll dust more often ..i had been just dusting after every cleaning but i guess i'll need to hit their bottoms more often ..about once a week would you think ..or more often then that ..i have 22 birds ..hes my only roo..i planned on moving him and my 6 wellie hens to their own coop but winter desided to stop in a little early here ..i live in western ny ..the home of the 7 foot snow drift ..ugh..

7. Feathyr

Feathyr Songster

Aug 21, 2014
    Idaho
    I'm afraid I can't offer much advice on that point because I've never used DE, I've always stuck with permethrin dust. My coop is thoroughly cleaned and dusted every week, and I make an effort to weekly dust birds who have infestations. Pick-No-More works pretty well in my experience; I would wait and see what the Blu-Kote does first though, so you may not need to apply it. I had a roo with the same problem, only his wound was on the vent. Sprayed Blu-Kote every five days unless I noticed his girls picking at him, in which case I'd apply it more often.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  8. StephensonC

StephensonC Songster

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I prefer the permethrin dust also. I've heard LOTS of people say that the DE doesn't get rid of infestations. The permethrin kills on contact.
    Sorry about the confusion. You will need to dust the birds again in 7-10 days to kill the mites that hatched after the 1st treatment. The Blu-Kote should only be re-applied if the others start pecking him again. That stuff is pretty good at covering up the redness and will stay on there for a long time.

9. wny egger

wny egger Chirping

Mar 27, 2014
    wny
    ok heres what i ended up doing ..i dusted them all real good with the DE..they seem to be doing better ..theres been no more bleeding or blood ..i started them on a mix of dumars layer feed 16% protein and feather fixer ..the feathewr fixer has stuff in for mites and is 18% protein. and with it being winter the extra protein will help them manage the cold winters we have ..i'll dust again in 7 to 10 days after another good cleaning of the coop ..i have been dusting their nest ,perches and run all along and will continue to ...and every 10 days i will dust them real well ..i have to admit the whole idea of dusting with a chem was going to be the last ditch effort ..
    i will keep better records of when and how often i am cleaning,dusting,and what ever other treatments that i do ..youd think after 2 yrs of this i'd get a better handle on it..life creeps in sometimes i guess ..

thanks for the help ,you guys have been great ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: