Roo blood 😢

DrFyl

Chirping
Mar 28, 2022
Good morning, all. I have a 6 week Buff roo that is the only identifiable roo in the flock of 20 chicks: 8 buffs and 12 production reds. There MAY be a couple of male reds, but none of them have enough of an identifiable comb, yet. I purchased them as "pullets."
Came back from barn chores and checked on the chicks that I had been released from the shed about an hour or two earlier. Some were inside, some out in the grass with a small group of them in a circle with heads to the ground. Figured they had a worm or caterpillar so went to investigate.
"MistaRoo" was bloody on his neck and toes. There didn't seem to be any aggression while I observed, but there were curious gentle, groooming "pecks" from one or two of the chicks. I don't know if MistaRoo got caught in something or had been doing his annoying "posturing" with a chick that fought back. One thing that clued me into the possibility that he was a rooster is the way he, boldly runs up to another chick and hops up and down with his chest out. There are a few offended, bold females that respond in kind when he does that, but he is the one in which I first noted the behavior. No one else has any blood.
MistaRoo is one of the two chicks that comes to me and allows me to pick him up and give scratches, so I separated him into the trough that is still in the shed. Put ointment on his toes (futile act, probably) as he was leaving blood spots on the shavings wherever he walked. Smoothed some ointment on his neck.
Have many different equine meds here, but not sure if they are poultry-safe. Will buy some Vetericyn if that is the med of choice.
Here are a few pics. Any advice is appreciated. I don't want to leave him separated for longer than necessary. Thank you! Have a great day.
024CF722-E5FD-4AF4-92CD-EAD63412C80C.jpeg
892F6CC9-6FFE-42A0-92E9-9C061D994F71.jpeg
B3A2D89A-D2DA-4F0F-84A4-E4F3561703D5.jpeg

Is it possible that a small predator tried to attack him while you were gone?
Hi, and thank you. I really don't know what kind could have gotten in to attack. I did see a mouse in the Guinea house this a.m., but haven't seen any thing in the chicken area. I used to see lots of snakes, but they are constrictors, and the dogs and Guineas keep them away.
I will keep my eyes peeled. I don't want to put MistaRoo back with the others until I can wash the blood off his neck. I have spent hours sitting with them over the past weeks and am cautious about keeping them in the coop when I have to run errands, but figured they'd do fine while I putzed around farm and checked in on them. Maybe it was just a freak thing. I like the little guy. He seems to be a happy camper back in the big trough and nestled down in fresh shavings, with his own food and water. I locked everybody back inside while I came in for lunch. Will check them before I run to the farm store, then, will wash him up, medicate the neck, and put him back with the others while I sit in the coop with them to see what ensues. Thank you for your question. It will keep me aware of any little chicken predators.

Back
Top Bottom